11 December 2007

Weeds and Seeds



Not a pretty sight, eh? I admit it. I became obsessed with crabgrass. After all of the clover seed I spread (and I spread a lot of it) I could not, for the life of me , figure out how this crabgrass entered the scene. Later I learned, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, that the weed seed came in with the hay. Hey!

I like to let things run on the wild-ish side and a weed is only a plant that you'd rather not have in the place where it takes root but I battled this crabgrass like my Aunt Nancy used to battle her squirrels. What I learned is that crabgrass is an extremely intelligent plant and I am not kidding. It was as if it knew when I was going to try to dig it up and propagated itself as I approached. In any event, I was finally reminded by some biodynamic landscapers that the crabgrass is just a sign of the earth healing itself. So I let that obsession go and turned my attention to the beginnings of my perennial beds.

These modest beginnings have yielded some sturdy returns and I've learned what's good for these parts and what is least likely to survive. Any sort of salvia takes off with a fertile vengeance for life. The anise hyssop makes a great party for a wide variety of bees and other colorful, happy flying bugs. You can see what I've cut back after the second summer on yesterday's My Great Day blog.

No comments: